Friday, November 1, 2013

Serpentine Dressers

There comes a time when I really miss having a paint brush in my hand.  So lately I've been stalking craigslist and visiting estate sales to find a few projects for me to do.  When I found this serpentine dresser set with the ball and claw feet I was sold.


I love furniture with curves and keyholes. 


They were in pretty good condition except for a few chips and nicks that I fixed with wood filler. 


They came with attached mirrors but I decided to remove them and patch the holes on top.  I think that makes them more versatile and I'm sure I will find a use for the mirrors. 



I followed my typical steps to make these girls over.  First I clean the drawers and get rid of dust and spider webs.  (my least favorite part)  Then I sand everything and wipe it all down.  Spackle if needed, sand and wipe down again. 
 
 
Apply a light coat of good quality primer, I usually let that dry overnight to cure.  Sand and wipe down and start your color of choice.  I used Soft Chamois by Benjamin Moore.  It's a soft white that doesn't look too new for antique pieces.  Oh, I lightly sand between coats of paint too.


The original hardware was ok, in hindsight I should have painted a few and tried it out.  Buying sixteen new knobs is expensive, especially when I bought these to makeover and sell.  I think the glass hardware fits well with the feminine lines of these pieces but these knobs from Anthropologie would have been perfection.  At fourteen dollars a piece I sadly passed. 

Since it's getting too cold to paint outside, I am going to give Annie Sloan's chalk paint a try.  I'll be back to let you know what I think of it. 


Sharing this makeover with Miss Mustard Seed
FFF



6 comments:

  1. These look amazing!!! What an insane find!!! And I like the hardware you went with...I love anthro but that price is crazy!! They look beautiful as is! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pieces! I love dresser makeovers. I have to start hitting some sales again myself. My booth {knock wood} is doing well and I've just brought the last of my makeovers there today. That means I need a few things in the wings to work on. I'd love to be able to find a dresser like the smaller one you got.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of my girls have VERY similar pieces. I loved the lines of them. Theirs are both painted black with distressed white hardware, and they have stood the test of time and go anywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous pieces! that shorter dresser is just what I'm looking for. You do great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so pretty! love the creamy finish and those feet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look amazing! I love white painted furniture. I have 3 pieces I need to have painted, would you like to come to Florida? I live really close to WDW, just kidding :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Site design by FABULOUS K CREATIVE