Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas 2011

The sun finally came out today so I was able to take a few hundred pictures, but don't worry, I won't show you all the bad ones.  There are a few things I want to finish around the house before the big day gets here but for the most part we are ready.

I really wanted to find a wreath for the front door this year and when I couldn't find what I was looking for I decided to make my own. 


Now a wreath hanging on a front door might not be a big deal to some people, but this is our first one so I am really excited!  I never thought to hang one there before because of the storm door.


I used a boxwood wreath tutorial from Rene who blogs at Cottage and Vine but instead of using a wreath form I used a wooden picture frame.  The letter got the same sparkle treatment as my pinecones did last year.  To see how I sparkled click here.


So did a bunch of little snowflakes that I found at Michaels.


It was still warm out when I started thinking about hanging snowflakes and icicles from the trellis that wasn't even built yet.  I had quite the display going on the day after Thanksgiving...snowflakes in various sizes were hung just right until the winds came. 

(That fake garland doesn't cut it anymore since the remodel

There were a few nights that I was woken up by them banging on the house and windows.  Everything was a tangled mess and I felt a little silly, I think I forgot how bad the weather can be here. 


So today I went out and took all the little flakes down and moved some of the bigger ones around so they won't hit the house. That is the plan anyway. 


Let's head inside for a bit...


I don't change things around very much year to year.  Like our ornaments for example, I have been collecting them for a long time so they always stay the same. 


The tree on the other hand is always different since we search for the perfect one and cut it down.  This year the tree is huge and is one of the meanest trees we have ever had!  Every ornament was painful to put on, it wouldn't stay straight and it's dropping needles already.  Oh, and I can't forget about the baby spiders that hatched thinking it was spring time.


I changed the top of the antique dresser from last year.  I have to admit that I was putting the Santa and sleigh up there like I have in the past until I needed a spot for my mason jar snow globes.  I fell in love with them just like so many did....they are so cute and fun to put together. 


I was inspired by Michelle who blogs at Vintage Junky to put a little Christmas tree in the back of the little ones toy truck.  This one comes from the Land of Nod but if you want the real deal Michelle sells them in her etsy shoppe.


Let's head into the kitchen to see what Mr. 65th drew up for us on the chalkboard.


I found this image while searching for inspiration.  I knew I wanted something old fashioned and this Victorian Christmas tree fit the bill.  (I never say "fit the bill" in real life but it just kind of came out....do you ever write something that you wouldn't normally say?) 


Since we are off the subject for a minute...are some of these pictures too big?  I don't resize them before I upload and I usually use the large size for most pictures.


Let's continue with the extra large pictures and carry on.  Here is another view of the living room.


Dollar store trees and more toys borrowed from the little one are hanging out under the cloche.  I scraped off a handfull of styrofoam to create staticy snow for under the glass to give it a "snow globe" effect.  I found the styrofoam idea on pinterest here.


That concludes our tour for now, thanks so much for stopping by!  


I am joining The Nester for her 2011 Christmas tour of homes and Rene @ Cottage and Vine. 




29 comments:

  1. Love. Love. Love. Every bit. I want to come over and make snow globes and snow scenes under cloches with you. So beautiful. Love Mr. 65th's artwork. Love the extra large pictures. Your front door wreath - I need it. Next year, would ya post all your Christmas decor in, say, October? Then I'll have enough time for lots of copying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course, it's all fantastic and perfect and appropriate....love love love....I make my own wreaths too; stop by soon to see what I did tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your home looks so beautiful at Christmas. I love the outside shots and the urns and your chalkboard inside is so cool {I'm so glad you kept it!}.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your house is one of the prettiest I have seen London! It is so charming, I stopped and pinned your front door wreath as soon as I saw it! It is fantastic! You have great style. I love the snowglobe vignette and the truck is darling. Want to copy!! Great tree too, even if he battled back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it all! Especially the truck with the greenery:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so much to love here! love the wreath, the tree, the antique chest, the chalkboard wall. i love it ALL. so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! Love all the vignettes you put together, too1

    ReplyDelete
  8. it looks absolutely beautiful, londen! i am always impressed with the mister's artistry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the photo size is perfect- along with your decorating! LOVE the porch :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your home looks beautifully decorated for the holidays! I love your tree and wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your house looks so cozy! I love all the DIY details - I'll have to use that styrofoam snow trick!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Londen! Your house looks gorgeous!
    First of all I think the large pictures are great - I like seeing the details.
    Second - the outside of your house looks really pretty - you know I love that star light!
    Third - I love your style - your black chalkboard wall contrasting the neutral living room - the beautiful mural your husband did!! Lovely all of it. Hope you and your family have a happy happy happy Christmas and healthy 2012! xoLisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh! Your home is perfection! I adore your square wreath and could never find a square form. How clever to use a frame - will store that idea away for next year. So many pretty touches. Merry Christmas Londen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have beautiful decorations inside and out.

    Merry Christmas!

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such beautiful decor! Everything is my favorite. Great idea using a picture frame for your door wreath. (And I love your little white truck.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Uh..where to start, your monogram wreath and urns are gorgeous, as is your simply elegant style inside! And, the Mr.'s art is very cool!

    I love your big photos, glad to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That may have been the meanest tree ever, but it photographs beautifully. I especially love the picture of your chalkboard wall with the tree in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your house is so cozy and adorable! xo Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely post. I love the clean, fresh simplicity of your house. At the same time, I also appreciate the really warm touches like the antique bureau in your living room. Together it looks so livable, but also special. We have a dreadful time limiting color, limiting things, etc., and it can be hard to keep up!

    Your Christmas decorations are also perfect for your house. They look so personal but also reflect their surroundings. I'm going to steal some of those ideas for next year!

    Take care and Merry Christmas!

    Jake and Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  20. My favorite? Your chalkboard wall and what is on it. There is so much inspiration here at your home. Your decor is lovely and I want to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow!!! I love so much! Your tree is SO pretty... the spiders would freak me out, but it is gorgeous!! Just really, really pretty. Everything! I have a thing for river birches as well, so I love what you did with your vase!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. I truly love your decorating style...rustic and incorporating nature. I'll have to look into the etsy store that sells the tree jars.
    Merry Christmas!
    I hope you and your family have a blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh My! Why I have not been here before is beyond me! Love your style. Found you via Rene.

    Your Mr. can teach my hubby what a chalkboard drawing really should look like...!

    Happy New Year to you.

    I am your latest follower.

    ox, Mon

    ReplyDelete
  24. Another thumbs-up on the lovely chalkboard drawing. Oh to have the artistry to be able to do that on my own chalkboard-faced kitchen cabinets! Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  25. We're moving to the country and I am in love with all the natural and rustic elements you incorporate into your style! And you do it so elegantly. Found you while searching for a green paint for our soon-to-be new home. You're at the top of my blog list!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The snow globe you made is beautiful. I love the plastic deer and the detail in the snow. I like what you put on the door. Most doors are to boring. People hang things on walls all the time. Why not hang more things on doors?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi! Would you please share with me your exterior paint colors (brand and color)? They are perfect for my current project! Your house is adorable, and you are so creative. Thank you! Best, Jennifer (jvirden67@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks Jennifer, the body is Crownsville gray by Ben Moore. The trim is white not tinted by Sherwin Williams. Good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the paint colors, I love them too! Also, do you happen to know the color of you door? Thanks! Jeanine

    ReplyDelete

 

Site design by FABULOUS K CREATIVE