Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Grown with love

Last fall I brought home a gorgeous bouquet of Zinnias from the pumpkin farm and knew then that I would have to grow some of my own. So while shopping at Target this spring I bought a few different varieties of Zinnia seed. This was my first time starting something from seed and I'm thrilled to actually have flowers!


I started them in the house early May with a plan to put them in the ground after Mothers Day. That is usually when we have the last frost here in the Midwest. They lived in a laundry basket to protect the floor from moisture when I watered them.


Once the weather started getting nice I would bring them outside during the day and bring them back in at night when it got chilly. When it was nice enough to plant them outside, I separated them by gently pulling them apart for better spacing. 


The picture above was taken early June after I found a spot for them next to the Daisies. You can see them in the distance on the left.


Here they are a few weeks later when I thought something went wrong. They were starting to bloom but the flowers were so small! And I expected them to be taller too.


Here they are today in full bloom.


That's more like it!


I'm laughing at myself now thinking about how disappointed I was when I thought I grew some weird dwarf flowers. I just needed to be patient.


Next year I might just put the seeds right in the ground and see what happens.


Any Zinnia lovers out there? How did you plant them?


Joining Censational Girl's garden link party here.

19 comments:

  1. wow, they grew up beautifully! love those colors!
    i tend to plant seeds and then water them diligently for about 3 weeks and then just forget and they die. i am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love seeing photos of peoples gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love zinnias and wish I'd gotten some this year. Yours grew beautifully! In the past, with zinnias and the annual dahlias I would sometimes get new growth the following season without having planted anything. Sometimes I twist the dried heads around or let them lay in the spot near the plant and hope some reseeding takes place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried seeds this year too- and it was an EPIC FAIL. I love the zinnias colors- good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it a great feeling to grow something yourself?! These are just beautiful! My grandfather loved these and had tons along the border of his fence that he started from seed.

    You did a GREAT job!!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your zinnias look very happy. The laundry basket trick was genius.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are absolutely gorgeous!! I started some from seed one year inside the house but put them outside too early and it got really cold one night and I lost them :( After seeing yours, I think I will definitely have to try them again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty! I am so ready for the day that I can plant flowers for cutting. I don't do well with nursing little seeds along, so I just want to throw out some packets of wildflower seeds in a "cutting garden." Unfortunately, I'd just get a bazillion weeds. I'll just look at your pretty pictures instead!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how you have inspired me! Next year...next year...I will do this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Londen they are GORGEOUS. I haven't had much success growing plants from seeds. You have a green thumb, girl! How cheerful are those blooms!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've had great success with zinnia's last year (and I don't have a green thumb!). I just threw the seeds on the ground then spent the rest of the summer chopping them back and bringing in clippings, they went crazy! The good thing with zinnia's is that they're self sowing so most likely, you'll have some zinnia's next year without having to do a thing. I decided to plant a couple of tomatoes this year where my zinnias were last year so I had to dig up my little seedlings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH yay for you!!! I love zinnias too ... these are gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love them!! I was at Disneyland in May and they had a HUGE Zinnia bed outside the small world ride and I just fell in love! These look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations, what a great bed full of wonderful color and all for a little money.
    My seed stories end very tragic, I think it must be lack of patience and starting late.
    I love your blog and I will be back for another visit. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love zinnias. One of my all time favorite summer annuals. Normally I start some from seed, but this year with our cruddy weather, I ended up just getting starts from the nursery. And they're all starting to finally take off. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. YES! I love zinnias. I am so jealous your are already in full bloom. I just stepped outside my back door to confirm that mine are about 3" high. You must be making lots of arrangements. I love all the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love zinnias! They are so colorful and really a hardy flower that blooms well into late Summer. My neighbor planted a row of them in her garden right next to us, and I enjoyed looking at them so much. I want to incorporate some in our gardens one day. Thanks for the inspiration. Your pics are beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow I am impressed! I thought these would be quite difficult from seed, but pro job as usual!

    ReplyDelete

 

Site design by FABULOUS K CREATIVE